Sunday, May 17, 2009

You Don't Have To Run A Marathon - Just Move More Than You Have Been!

The Bellin 10k run is coming up soon - the second weekend in June - and I"m getting excited about it already. I've been running and working out on my elliptical. I'll be ready Eddy!

It's been a long time in coming though and it was gradual working up to the fitness level where I could run a 10k. And I'll be honest, I could have done it a couple years ago if I'd wanted to. But I didn't want to and I think that's truly key to a successful exercise program. You have to want to do it. If you are forcing it, it won't last and lasting is the key component here.

Pick something you enjoy doing. Pick something you can see yourself doing "for the rest of your life". Take it on a little at a time. Step by step. I like to say, "we aren't asking you to sign up for a marathon, just move more than you have been". That's what I always say to my members at the WW meetings.... and here I am seriously considering training for a marathon. Holy catfish. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: