Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Amish Friendship Bread and Chicken Soup

Last week a friend at church had an extra bag of the starter dough for Amish Friendship Bread.  You know, the kind where you "mush" the bag for a few days, add some flour and sugar, mush it for a few more days and then on the magical day number 9 you add some more stuff, split some out for friends and then bake a couple loaves after adding a lot more stuff to it.

Well I wasn't too sure I wanted the starter bag to begin with, but I took it and did my mushing.   It's not supposed to be refrigerated, so on the way home I even took it into the gym with me so it wouldn't sit in the car during zero degree weather.  I took wonderful care of my bag!  Well today is day #9 and this morning I woke up to a small pool of batter on the kitchen counter.  I had planned to do my baking this evening, but the process was accelerated and the loaves are in the oven as I type.

This morning I put SO much sugar and oil into this bread that I could feel the pounds coming on as I measured them out!  I'm somewhat afraid of the moment that the hot, cinnamon-y bread exits the oven.  I'm going to want some and am afraid I won't be able to stop at just one piece.

I need a plan - that's it!  I'll play it out in my mind what is best for me and what my actions will be.  Okay, I'll eat breakfast while it's baking so when it starts smelling delicious I am not hungry.  Then after it comes out of the oven, I'll immediately leave for work so I'm not tempted to dig in.  I'm leaving tomorrow to go visit my daughters in Minneapolis (Yay!  I love visiting my daughters!) so I'll take it with me and we'll all enjoy it together.  That will help tremendously, I'm sure of it.  And it will be a nice surprise for them.... unless they happen to read my blog before I arrive, then the jig is up.

On a healthier note - last night I made a big pot of chicken vegetable soup.  The flavors have melded all night long and I'm looking forward to a bowl for lunch.  Yummy!  And healthy.

This is my life.  It feels like having an angel and a devil on each shoulder.  Sometimes I confuse the angels.  I guess that makes me human.

Betty Crocker out.