Monday, November 23, 2009

I Get My Moxy From Fern

As I type this my 91.5 year old Grandma Fern is laying in hospice.  She has been strong in spirit, mind and body until a couple weeks ago when she had a stroke.  Then a week later she had a seizure and another stroke and now there is no hope for her recovery.  They are doing everything they can to make her comfortable and there has been family by her side 24/7 for the past 10+ days.

Grandma Fern is the type of woman everyone wants for a Grandma.  She is kind, intelligent, has a good sense of humor, is a hard worker, gives great back rubs, makes an awesome fish fry, (northern and walleye caught by Gramps from Pelican Lake) always looks like a million bucks, is a devoted Packer fan and has been known to gamble here and there.

By example she has taught her daughters, granddaughters, and great-granddaughters how to live and love.  (I'm sure the male types in our family learned a lot too, but this is being written from the female perspective today, sorry guys.)  I was in my early 20's before I realized that not all mothers and daughters got along!  My grandma and her daughters should be the poster family for how to do it right.  I have nothing but deep respect for all of them.

My grandma is not a complainer.  She likes to shock us with a funny "zinger" when least expected and make everyone laugh.  Even now, laying there and fighting for breath for over a week and barely a moan or grumble from her.  She's a fighter.

I'm not sure what her image of heaven is, but Grandma thinks my Grandpa has probably found someone else up there.  We all know better.  They were married for over 60 years and he's waiting with his arms wide open for her to arrive.  The best is yet to come.

She's got MOXY, and I'm proud to say that that's where I get my moxy from.

1 comment:

carla said...

Very nicely written. Hugs your way.