Sunday, May 2, 2010

1/2 Full or 1/2 Empty?

There is much discussion and theorizing about our view on life according to how we rate what is left in our glass.  Is it half full or is it half empty?  Well I tend to be a half full kind of gal when it comes to how I view life, but when I was trying to decide if I should run a 1/2 marathon instead of the full... well let's just say I really struggled.  My glass was half empty when it came to running the half instead of the full.

I've been struggling with achilles tendon problems for at least 4 or 5 months now and it hurts.  A lot.  It hurts a lot, much of the time.  I thought maybe I wasn't tough enough and I just needed to push through it.  For some reason it just seemed like running only 13.1 miles wasn't good enough!  The glass was half empty, after all I did a full 26.2 last October and I should be able to do it again, darn it!

Well yesterday during our training run I made the decision that I would do the 1/2 Marathon rather than the full.  I know I can do it.  I won't feel like crap when I'm done.  In fact a couple weeks ago after running 16 miles I felt down right chipper.  After the 20 miler however, I felt dead tired for a whole week.  13.1 is the right decision.  The half is good and I'm at peace with my decision.

13.1 is half full, not half empty and life is good once again.

Bacher out.

No comments: