Wednesday, September 3, 2008

For the Sashimi Lovers

This is direct from the Hungry Girl newsletter and I have several readers who I know love sushi and will love this info. So here you go my friends!


Hi, Hungry Girl!

I love sashimi and can eat a lot of it. I used to think it was pretty healthy. But I recently checked the nutritionals for salmon (my favorite!), and it's about 45 calories and 2g fat per ounce! I'm pretty sure the average piece of sashimi is one to two ounces, so does that mean I'm taking in around 240 calories and 10g fat for just three to four measly pieces of fish? And who eats just four pieces?! I know it's good fat and all, but does that mean sashimi is not too good calorie-wise?

Sashimi-Chewer




Dear Sashimi-Chewer,

Hold on there! Before you panic, let's get things straight. For starters, some of your facts are a little fishy (some pun intended). The average piece of sashimi is not one to two ounces. Sashimi is typically very thinly sliced and weighs around 1/2 oz. per piece on average. While salmon is on the high end in terms of calories and fat, most varieties of fish contain an average of 35 calories and 1g fat per ounce. So if you get an order of assorted sashimi, the entire thing will probably weigh in at around two to three ounces and have about 100 calories and 3g fat or so (give or take a little). I eat a TON of sashimi (okay, not literally, but I do eat an awful lot of it!), and I always feel good about that choice. I do usually indulge in a few orders of sushi, too, but I ask for those with not a lot of rice (a good trick!). I also avoid crazy rolls that have lots of mayo, cream cheese, oils, fried items, etc. In general, rolls have more rice than straight sushi pieces. Click here and here for some more sushi survival tips (and check out the HG book for even more!). I LOVE RAW FISH!!!!

No comments: